Monday, August 11, 2008

Confession

(These thoughts come on the heels of Nathan's sermon from yesterday. His preaching has been such a blessing to everyone at Unity.)

I do not find my joy in Christ.
I look for it in the behavior of my children.
I expect my husband to provide it for me.
I seek it on a crossed-off to do list.
So foolish. Temporary, fleeting joys!

Children sin.
My husband is NOT a mind-reader.
Things happen, plans change, people call or drop by or have needs.
To do lists get longer and longer.

Seeking my joy in any place besides Christ alone is idolatry. Oh Lord, keep me from it!

"One thing I have asked of the Lord, that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple." ~ Psalm 27:4

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. It's funny how we are in such different situations, yet coming to similar conclusions. I was reading in Colossians 3 this morning (I LOVE Colossians!) and - bing, bing, bing - it was like God was saying Look! Idol! WHERE is your treasure?

Lots of love,
Emily (Not really anonymous, but I don't have a blog)

Kara said...

And I try to find mine in a full calendar...

Nathan's sermon Sunday made me want to re-read Piper's "When I Don't Desire God."