Friday, May 3, 2019

How has autism impacted you as a person (not just a mom)?

As April came to an end, I offered to answer questions about autism. My friend Jen is the only one who asked a question - but it was a good one! I've been thinking about it for several days now.

How has autism impacted you as a person (not just a mom)?


My immediate thought was that there are pros and cons. But as I considered these two lists, something stood out. All the cons were from a temporal perspective.

  • I have to sit in the lobby at band concerts, and Kevin couldn't be with me at my nephew's wedding.
  • We have to turn down some fun things we're invited to because of fear of elopement or meltdowns.
  • I am exhausted most of the time.
  • I have to work really, really hard to understand my son and to have any kind of meaningful connection with him.
  • I have to work really, really hard to teach Eli new things and to not regress in what he already can do.
  • We can't be on a homeschool schedule anymore because Eli gets on the bus before 7:00 a.m.
  • Sometimes I don't want to research anymore.
  • Or squirt one more capsule of omega oil on a spoon with applesauce and precariously walk it over to give to Eli.
  • Or change poop. LOTS OF POOP.

There's plenty more, but you get the picture.

  • Then I realized that the pros are all ETERNAL! And they are of way more value than the cons. God has used autism in my life, which is pretty amazing.
  • He has taught me to love sacrificially.
  • He has taught me to never assume and always think the best.
  • He has surrounded me by friends, family, and professionals who love Eli and the rest of my family and are a constant source of encouragement.
  • He has developed His Spirit's fruit in my life - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control - in a way He could never have done without Eli.
  • He has shown His strength in my weakness.
  • He has made me long for His coming, when all will be made right.
  • He has shown me that He is all I need.
  • He has turned autism into a gift. Now that's AMAZING!

(Thank you for the thought-provoking question, Jen!)

No comments: