Friday, May 27, 2005

Massage, Anyone?

When Kevin's mom had total knee replacement and she went to her last PT appointment, she rewarded me (for driving her around) with a massage from the licensed therapist on staff there. It was a little weird. I am not sure if this is common, but the therapist had a room all set up there with white Christmas lights, a small water fountain, and those other kinds of lights that change colors? I can't think of the can get sculptures and stuff with those lights on it? Anyhow, she had some New Age-y music playing and every once in a while this guy would cry out or moan on it. It was really weird. Mom and I had a big laugh about it.

So anyhow, she DID do a great job. Kevin decided to get me the gift certificates for my birthday, so he called the PT place. They said that this therapist had left, but that she was working from her home and they gave him her number. Kevin got the certificates and gave them to me for my birthday.

Okay, so he gives me the certificates - with a warning. He said that he just wanted me to know that she lives in an older mobile home, and that her massage room is across the dirt driveway in part of her husband's garage (he is a mechanic). I don’t know how to describe this. I guess it would be like Tiffany’s in the foothills of the Ozarks? So I went to my first appointment. The massage itself was fine. She really does do a great job, but it was kinda weird, to say the least. The room was fixed up EXACTLY like it had been at the PT place, except the you-know-what music had been replaced with calypso music and she had hung some parrots and tropical birds around.


I finally got up the nerve on Wednesday to make my second appointment. This is kind of a big deal because the drive is about 30 minutes and I have to get a sitter for Katie. I made the appointment for 3:00 on Thursday. When I got there, the place looked abandoned (although there was a plethora of cars that do not run and also a school bus, since her hubby is a mechanic and she drives the bus on the side). I waited a bit and then left. I called her house from my cell and left my cell number.

The therapist called back about 30 minutes later, apologizing like mad. She said that she thought the appointment was at 3:30. Get this. She said she was ACROSS THE STREET, CHECKING ON THE COWS. Be afraid, be very afraid.

No comments: