Saturday, May 7, 2005

Everyday Providence

Yesterday went quite well. My father-in-law came through the surgery just fine. He even weaned himself off the walker the last few days so that he can get by on his cane. So my responsibilities were basically to be his driver and to keep him company until he went into surgery. Then I just sat around and waited, and kept my mother-in-law and Kevin updated. Thank you to anyone who was praying for me. It certainly helped.

Today Kevin is off work. He just needed a break from all the extra stuff he has had to do at work lately. Unfortunately, Katie was complaining about her ear yesterday so we had to take her to the doctor this morning. That was FUN. HA! First of all, she had a TON of earwax in both ears. I guess I could hope that this is why she doesn't always obey - she can't hear me. (Yeah, right!) Seriously, they cleaned it out with a water pick, which was pure trauma for a two-year-old. I was so thankful that Kevin was there! He basically laid on top of her and I held her head down. After they cleaned her ears, the doctor looked in and said that she did have an infection in her right ear. This explains her poor sleep schedule lately. We thought she might be having nightmares, but I think it was just that she was hurting. Poor baby!

Now that the trauma is over, Katie and Kevin are taking a little nap together. Then we are going to see Mrs. Audrey after lunch. She is a lady (about my mom's age) that I used to "nanny" for when I was in high school and college. She has a husband who travels for work, she has six children, and she home schools, so they hired me to help with the little ones and the housework while she taught the school-aged kids. It was a great job and I learned a lot from her that I didn't even know I learned until I had kids of my own! I tell you, between her and my mom (I have six younger siblings and we were also home schooled), I was well-prepared for running a house and raising children!

Since Sunday is Mother's Day, I want to say that I really am thankful for my own mama. She taught me how to cook, sew, take care of babies, balance a checkbook...I could go on and on.

Then tonight my parents are taking me out for a late birthday dinner. That will be really nice.

Kevin had an extra check this month. I try to keep our bills going so that they get paid earlier and earlier in the month (he gets paid every other week). That way, when there are three paydays in a month, we have a whole check clear (except for groceries, gas and our lawn guy). So tomorrow we get to go shop for some things we need for our outside - deck wash and sealant, pool supplies, etc. It is a nice feeling to have some spending money! It has been tight around here since I had to cancel voice lessons. That was our "fun" money. But we still can't complain, because we are well-fed, clothed, and all the bills are being paid on time! Plus I get to stay home with my babies!

Okay, I need to go type the bulletin while they are napping. I think I have everything else (work-wise) done as of Wednesday so I can enjoy Kevin's time off with him.

No comments: