Monday, February 23, 2009

Baby Shower Devotion 2 - Psalm 23

Other Outlines
Baby Shower Devotion 1: Warning Against Idolatry
Baby Shower Devotion 3: Moses and Parenting


Baby Shower Devotion 2 - Psalm 23

I. Introduction - God’s word is rich! Just one chapter of scripture can bring encouragement and discipline throughout our entire life.

A. Childhood memorization of Psalm 23 (This is a popular memorization passage.)
B. Historical perspective of Psalm 23 (What do shepherds do? How do sheep act? What was the land like in that area?)
C. Psalm 23 for comfort in difficult circumstances (Frequently cited at funerals, this passage has brought much comfort to my own life in times of great physical suffering.)
D. Relating Psalm 23 to mothering (Just as the LORD is our shepherd, we are called to shepherd our children. We can gain insight from studying how God shepherds us.)

II. “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.”
Definition: want - need, lack, be without, fall short of

I will not fall short of my responsibilities in mothering if I look to Christ as the source of my strength (I Peter 1:3). My children will have their physical and spiritual needs met by Christ working through me, even when I sin or face physical challenges.

III. “He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.”
Definition: makes - causes or compels (God causes the action of rest.)
Definition: still - not or hardly moving; calm and tranquil

A. I should make my children rest, both physically and in activities (BUT, avoid legalism!)
B. I should strive to feed my family well (BUT, avoid legalism!)
C. I should keep my children safe (BUT, avoid legalism!)

Ask your husband to help you know what is the "middle ground" for your family!

IV. “He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.”
Definition: restores - brings back to the original state by rebuilding or repairing; brings back to health; gives back to the original owner
Definition: leads - causes to go with one, especially by guiding or going in front of

A. I should help my children recognize their sin in order that God may bring them to repentance and restore their souls.
B. I should lead in righteousness by example, being honest about my own sin and modeling walking in righteousness.
C. All of this should be “for His name’s sake.” To God alone be the glory!

No comments: